Saturday, March 17, 2007

Chinese 101

We went shopping. While adults were negotiating price in Chinese, which I don't speak, a niece of my friend (5, 6 grade) and I were left out. So, we started a "conversation."

Most of the conversation was like this. (Everything is in Chinese.)

Pattern 1
Niece: <a sentence>
Niece: Do you understand?
Niece: You don't understand.
Me: I don't understand.

Pattern 2
Niece: This is a <noun>.
Niece: Do you know that.
Niece: You don't know.
Me: I don't know.

Sometimes, she said something I can understand with my very poor Chinese knowledge. Then, I say either "I understand" or "I know." Then, she became very happy and replied with even longer and complicated Chinese sentences.

Anyway, we had fun like this for a long time. I feel like if I spent a week with her, my Chinese would be improved a lot.